Skip to main content

Pasties & Cream - My Cornwall






As someone who's lived in Cornwall for most of my life, I tend to take it very much for granted. As anywhere, you get used to what's on your doorstep and fail to notice the beauty around you.



I grew up in Penryn, close to Falmouth, and have always been by the sea - growing up with a wonderful view down Penryn river of Flushing and Falmouth. It's only in the past couple of years since returning from living abroad, that I've really begun to appreciate it. Even my online name Cajame is Cornish. Meaning DaisyMay it's two words put together Caja (daisy) and Me (May). I think it's a darling name for a little girl, though I only know of one!

Penryn is one of the oldest towns in England. It was one of the original charter towns in the Magna Carta. In the past it was a major shipping port, at a time when Falmouth consisted of nothing more than farmland. In the 16th Century 70% of the inhabitants were foreign traders. This explains why my family tree suddenly grinds to a halt about this time. It is thought my ancestors decided to stay in Cornwall and adopted an English name. It would also explain why me and so many of my relatives have dark olive complexions!



What is your idea of Cornwall? Pasties are probably the first thing to come to mind, closely followed by Clotted Cream, or how about Saffron Buns?Have you ever tried Thunder & Lightening? It's a heart attack on a plate, but jolly lovely ....

Golden Syrup and Clotted cream on toast




I spent much of my time at my grandmothers when I was younger. With only an ancient Cornish range to cook on, the kitchen was always full of fish that were dropped in to her as the fisherman went home after tying up their boats. To this day I can't bring myself to eat crab. I can still picture them scuttling around the kitchen nipping at my ankles, and hear the sound they made going into the pot.

My Cornwall isn't about desolate moorland, rugged clifftops, crashing waves or tin-mines. (You have to travel about 15 miles or so before seeing any of those - and when I was growing up this was akin to going abroad!). My Cornwall is the south coast with it's calm waters and sheltered coves, lush farmland and sea-farers cottages.

Oggy, Oggy, Oggy....... Oy, Oy, Oy



Dinghies moored up at Flushing. I spent hours messing about on the water here as a child.



a view of Flushing from the Quay. Many happy memories of here, my cousin used to own one of the slated cottages.



Taken from Greenbank in Falmouth and looking toward St Mawes. Can you just make out the castle in the distance?



Isn't this a sight? a tall ship just leaving the entrance to the harbour, flanked by a flotilla of well wishers. This fantastic view is what my husband gets to see every day at work. He's a coastguard, and the base is situated on Pendennis Point right at the harbour mouth.



I'll finish with a view of Smugglers Cottage, tucked away down the Fal river. a gorgeous little place, it's actually a pub. Though accessible by road, it's a darn long way around. Far better to go by boat, moor up and enjoy a pint!

PS - Should anyone like a recipe for proper Cornish Pasties please ask.... happy to oblige. Anything to help save the world from the scourge otherwise known as Ginsters.



Should you ever find yourself in Penryn, make sure you roll down the hill into The Famous Barrel Pub. You may even find me pulling a pint, as it's my little part time job two days a week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Small New Blog Meet Up

What a fantastic idea this is.  Many thanks to Lily's Quilts for coming up with the idea. I'm sure there are many others like me...... those that are fairly new to blogging, think they have interesting things to write about - and then may feel a little flat because no followers come along.  Of course it's difficult - there are oodles and oodles of brilliant blogs out there, and growing all the time.  Is it any wonder that no-one notices us newbies?  It's not going to happen overnight.  It's going to be a slow process - we're up against those that have been blogging for years and have dedicated followers.  However...... there is something that we can try! Lily's great idea is to have an online meet-up for new bloggers.  A chance to get your blog seen by others, and to be able to follow new blogs that interest us. Please pop over to Lily's blog and sign up!  You simply grab the button to display on your own page, and find other great blogs to foll