Skip to main content

Foxhollow's Friday Workshop

Grab your sewing basket and toodle down the garden path with me.  The kettle's on in the cabin and the coffee is brewing....


Sadie and Anne are deep in concentration.


Whilst meanwhile I am out on the porch in the rocking chair enjoying a coffee, and making a fuss of Benji.



Humph.... I was beaten to it!  Diane and Myra have nabbed the table on the porch.  I'm just not awake enough in the mornings. 


All the ladies today (with the exception of me) are
making this bag...



It's a lovely design, and Elaine has already made several of them in different colourways.
Everyone has chosen different fabrics to work with. 

Bow Tucks Tote - by Penny Sturges (Quilts Illustrated)


Totally oblivious to the camera :)






Here, Elaine is showing the class how to create the bottom of the bag.

The class is a light-hearted affair with lots of laughter, and the odd mistake here and there.  Luckily Elaine is always to the rescue, and sorts everyone out.



Lunch is served in the cottage by Terry, who today dished us up a delicious homemade Lasagne.  It was lovely, yet we all still managed to find room for pudding.  (I passed on the trifle, but it was a big thumbs up for the apple streudel).

Fat and full we rolled back to the cabin for the afternoon session.  I carried my work outside to sit in the shade and pretend to look busy.  Everyone was cracking on with their bags, even the garden table was called into service for fabric glue.


I tried hard here to get an "action" photo of work in progress.  It proved impossible, as Anne and Barbara were determined to smile for the camera.



Opposite is Anne's bag nearing completion - I'm loving her choice of fabrics.... very summery and fresh looking.


Diane and Myra happy at their work....




Meanwhile - I'm doing my own thing.


I'm putting together a "Little Tweethearts" Sew Simple collection - all items that can be hand sewn portable projects.  Bit of faffing still to be done, but I'm getting there.  I'm loving the little heart-shaped


flappy wings.  This photo is of my lap quilt.  I'm combining fresh modern fabric with some vintage lace and ribbon, then throwing in a handful of buttons and yo-yo's for good measure.  Results so far look promising.

What do you think of this beauty below?  Isn't it gorgeous!  This is what's on the programme for the next workshop.  It's a charm-pack quilt and it lives up to its name - it's very charming indeed.

A combination of machine-applique, paper piecing, hand-applique, embroidery and fabric flowers - it's a real treasure... and of all Elaine's
quilts, this is most definitely my favourite at
the moment.



Here's the centre panel shown in a little more detail.  Can you make out the dinky little flowers that form the heart.  There's a piece of vintage lace in the centre.  Elaine has done all the quilting by hand.  (The ladies can't wait to start theirs!)


















The workshops take place at Foxhollow Quilters in Cornwall.  Classes are held on alternate Fridays and are very popular.  If you are interested in finding out more - please take a look at Elaine's page -
www.FoxhollowQuilters.blogspot.com   It needs updating at present as Elaine has been badly let down by her technical support team (Me!).  It will however give you a good idea of the sort of things that are on offer, and anyone who does decide to come along will be made to feel very welcome.

Comments

  1. Wow! I've not really tried quilting, perhaps I should give it a go. Love your little tweetheart bird x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh - go on! It's so lovely to receive messages, and I really do appreciate it.

I always do my best to reply to messages - both here on the blog and personally (as long as I can see an email address)

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Small New Blog Meet Up

What a fantastic idea this is.  Many thanks to Lily's Quilts for coming up with the idea. I'm sure there are many others like me...... those that are fairly new to blogging, think they have interesting things to write about - and then may feel a little flat because no followers come along.  Of course it's difficult - there are oodles and oodles of brilliant blogs out there, and growing all the time.  Is it any wonder that no-one notices us newbies?  It's not going to happen overnight.  It's going to be a slow process - we're up against those that have been blogging for years and have dedicated followers.  However...... there is something that we can try! Lily's great idea is to have an online meet-up for new bloggers.  A chance to get your blog seen by others, and to be able to follow new blogs that interest us. Please pop over to Lily's blog and sign up!  You simply grab the button to display on your own page, and find other great blogs to foll