Skip to main content

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you......

Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses:



Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did.

Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool.



I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my designer paint effects will be met with my best defiant Paddington Bear stare.  In an effort to embrace it's individuality further, I may embark on adding some graffiti.  The thought of me let loose with a spray can is a bit giggly - I may just have to give it a go!

My wall sticker is still staying attached to the wall.  Loving it, and I think I will print out some more - hopefully in A3 size if I can get the computer paper that size.  You can do your own so easily.

 
Pleased with the bright bed, even if it does take a few moments to sort the pillows morning and night.  Plus it's given the cat a nice cosy place to cuddle in.


Not so pleased with my "chandelier".  Which ever bright spark thought it necessary to wrap each of the bottom crystals plastic in cellophane before attaching to the shade wants shooting.  So far I've broken two off in my attempt to get it off.  What numpties!  The wrapping is attached via the metal rings.  Grrr.  I suppose it was in an attempt to make it seem more luxurious, but at the princely sum of £7, I was just looking for a quick fix to shove up and forget about.

Wonder what my next DIY disaster will be.  Knowing me, it won't be long - and I may be brave enough to share!

Comments

  1. It's not a disaster, it's unique! You can be certain no one ease has one the same! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - it's definitely unique! The though that someone else might want one like it is hysterical :)

      Delete
  2. It is not my colors, but I can say, it is right in there with the rest of the designer furniture. If it had been different colors, it would be highly sought after, so no, you didn't do a bad job, and if you like the color, then you did a perfect job, be proud of your work, and own it:) it is yours, and you can always change it out in a year or 5 and make it something different :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my grandsons wall right now. Painters we hired to repaint when we moved in used oil over latex and his wall is peeling by the sheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly - I managed the walls no problem! What a disaster.

      Delete
  4. I actually love your desk and chandelier! The peeled paint on your desk makes it look like zebra print or some other pattern. And the chandelier is just awesome, very girly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelby - I keep telling myself it's supposed to be zebra :)

      Delete
  5. Hey it isn't too bad, as Shelby said, a fushia striped zebra :)

    The chandelier, definitely needs to lose the plastic covering, but beyond that is awesome and girly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I think you have done an 'interesting' job :) Interesting is such a good word isn't it? But seriously it's bright and its joyful and I'm sure it brightens the whole room it is in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew - Interesting is far kinder than the comment uttered by my other half when he saw it. :)

      Delete
  7. I love your bright, pretty bed. It's wonderful. Good luck with your DIY. I tend to shy away from those sorts of things!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh - go on! It's so lovely to receive messages, and I really do appreciate it.

I always do my best to reply to messages - both here on the blog and personally (as long as I can see an email address)

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Don't get Shirty!

My blog posts have been lacking the last few weeks.  This is due to moving home and trying to sort out the chaos.  One of the things required was that hubby thin down his clothing, or there would be no room for any of mine in the fitted wardrobes.  At the last count he had well over a hundred shirts.  Ridiculous.  Under strict instructions to free up half the wardrobe space for me, he set to with bin bags, to turf some out for the charity shops. With a large selection of shirts ousted, I started looking at the fabrics and wondered if I could make use of them myself.  There's a surprising amount of fabric in a mans shirt, particularly an XL one. After cherry picking the ones that were all cotton and nice fabrics, I sat down and scratched my head for inspiration. My first of two makes is this pillow.  When I began I had no real vision of what it was going to look like.  I just knew that I wanted to use some of the front pockets, and make a feature of a cuff or two. After