Skip to main content

A Spot of Reverse Applique Love

Today I've attempted something new!

Until last evening, I had never heard of Reverse Applique.  I suppose I must have come across items made this way before, but let's just say they obviously hadn't registered.  Until whilst twittering last night I discovered this little gem tweeted by my twitter chum Helena,  (@microbionoar)  who had posted a Pinterest find.  I perked up a little when I saw this, as it is so my style.  This is a skirt by Gina Sekelsky and I love it!  You can find the original post by clicking on Dreamland: Alabama Love

I can't see myself wearing a skirt quite as quirky as this (believe me, it would do me no favours!), but I have an image of a perfect apron forming in my mind.  Anyways, today I started thinking what I could make.  At the moment my sewing room looks as though it's been hit by a typhoon.  Whilst I was rummaging around trying to reach my fabric stash, I kept having to move a huge vintage wool blanket.  If I picked it up once, I picked it up half a dozen times.  Finally in frustration I dumped it on the floor.....  and then had a "bing" moment.  I've already hacked into the blanket when I needed some lining a while back, and boy - it's a bigun!  This was another of my car-boot finds.... being thrown away as it had a small hole near the centre.  Other than that it was in excellent condition.  Pure new wool, a natural cream colour - and £1.  Yes...  a king size blanket's worth of beautiful soft wool for £1!
The flash has made this look more yellow than it is - the photos below are more true
With a vague notion of making a cushion forming in my head, I hacked out a square (and by hack I mean it.... my cutting table is under so much fabric, I really did have to hack my way in to it) with my rotary cutter.  Then I was left wondering what to put with it.  I tried matching up all sorts of fabric pieces, but nothing seemed to match the cream of the blanket until I put this red polka dot print next to it.  The spots are a natural colour rather than white, and so it went perfectly. Now I just had to decide what to make?


Other than seeing the photo last night and trying to figure it out, I don't have the faintest notion if what I have done is the right method for reverse applique or not..... but I like it.......... it works........ and if I say so myself, it looks pretty darn good.  When the idea formed, I was all set to make something on the machine.  At the time I wanted to begin, my husband was fiddling about with my computer, and I would have to wait 10 minutes.  10 minutes!!!!!  But (stamps foot) I want to start now!

I'm not known for my patience, and there was no way on earth I could hang about huffing for 10 minutes.  Instead I grabbed my sewing bag and needlecase and stomped off into the lounge.  So..... instead of the probable hour this could have taken me, I've spent ....ooh.... yep.... that would be six hours sewing by hand.  Note to self - Don't be so bloody stupid next time!

I considered a bird, a heart, a name - and then plumped for LOVE as I reckoned it would fit into the square just about right.  Also it was easy to draw and cut out.  In retrospect I should have sewn the outlines first, but of course I did it backwards.  Luckily the wool is virtually felted so it was easy to cut and it held it's shape.  I then used sray fix fabric adhesive to hold the wool firmly in place over the polka dots, and then added another layer behind to give it a bit of substance.  Then I started sewing.

Several hours later (until about 15 minutes ago), I was busy blanket stitching around all the letters to hold the background fabric firmly in place.  I cut out the centres of the letters for the O and E from the wool I'd already cut out, and popped them back in to form the letters properly.  Then to finish it nicely I did a simple line of running stitch all the way around.  Whilst I was sewing, I was racking my brains trying to decide what to do next.  As I kept humming to myself "All you Need is Love" that's exactly what I've added, in chain-stitch using one strand of red Perle 12 thread. 

In my head the tune goes "all you need is love, dum de dum de dum" - but could I find that online?  No!  All the lyric sites miss out the dum de dum.  It could have been tum te tum.  I didn't want to get it wrong.  Instead I've plumped for "All you need is Love, love" - and then on the back of the cushion I will embroider - "Love is all you need".

When I complete this project remains to be seen.  I will try to do it tomorrow - you never know?  I might!







 




 




 

Comments

  1. awww, nice inspiration... now can you imagine someone with this "all you need is love" version skirt on ... and suddenly starts hearing "dum de dum de dum" from others, ha? that would be magic lol :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's amazing!! I love it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The polka dots are fab and it's great to put your car-boot finds to a gorgeous use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is impossible not to sing along oncde that song gets in your head!!! I love it (and obviously the dotty fabric is a winner with me!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great new technique looks like you're on to a winner. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfection. Having been stitched by hands seems more appropriate some how. Maybe it was a good thing that you were too impatient to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovelier than a Jan Constantine cushion - really gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hats fantastic! I absolutely love the fabrics you've used and you'd never know it was your first go at reverse appliqué!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh - go on! It's so lovely to receive messages, and I really do appreciate it.

I always do my best to reply to messages - both here on the blog and personally (as long as I can see an email address)

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Don't get Shirty!

My blog posts have been lacking the last few weeks.  This is due to moving home and trying to sort out the chaos.  One of the things required was that hubby thin down his clothing, or there would be no room for any of mine in the fitted wardrobes.  At the last count he had well over a hundred shirts.  Ridiculous.  Under strict instructions to free up half the wardrobe space for me, he set to with bin bags, to turf some out for the charity shops. With a large selection of shirts ousted, I started looking at the fabrics and wondered if I could make use of them myself.  There's a surprising amount of fabric in a mans shirt, particularly an XL one. After cherry picking the ones that were all cotton and nice fabrics, I sat down and scratched my head for inspiration. My first of two makes is this pillow.  When I began I had no real vision of what it was going to look like.  I just knew that I wanted to use some of the front pockets, and make a feature of a cuff or two. After