Skip to main content

Shining Hexamples

From Lily's Quilts (gorgeous blog) There's even a Hexalong - instructions and all!
Whilst dropping hubby at work very early the other morning (I needed the car later), we were sat at traffic lights when I noticed the most amazing hexagon ceramic tiles on a building. Very arty, beautiful colours, and applied to look as though they are tumbling out of the wall - stunning. Once home and dressed..... (yes - I did go out in my jim-jams and slippers - ... it's okay no-one saw me - it was still dark), I have spent a pleasant wee while gazing adoringly at hexagons via Pinterest. Personally I've never completed anything made out of hexagons, though I've started a few. I did quite a bit of a quilt top many years ago, spending hours on it. I wonder whatever happened to that? So... one thing I know for sure - is the amount of time involved with sewing the little lovelies. Simple as they look, they sure are labour intensive. One day, I may dabble with them again, but in the meantime I will admire from a safe distance, and feel humbled by the patience of the creative genius behind such wonderful makes.

I will share with you a few stunning hexamples......

1.  Just look at this gorgeous quilt above.... it's quite beautiful.  I love everything about it; fab fabrics, a great mix of pattern and design..... an eclectic masterpiece.  Do pop along and have a look at Lily's Quilts site - it's quite lovely, and a firm favourite of mine.

The Beekeepers Quilt - by Tiny Owl Knits

2.  Isn't this knitted quilt stunning?  The patience required to knit all those little hexagons... I could weep!  As to joining them all together - oh my!  What a wonderful heirloom piece.  It would be no good having one of these in my home, the cat would make it her life's ambition to destroy it as soon as possible.  The blog post by Stephanie Dosen on her Tiny Owl Knits site, has some great photos of the work in progress - and should you be so inclined - there is even a link to the pattern so you can create your own.

3.  I'm loving the cheerful mix of fabrics in this WIP by Ruth's Designs.


So summery and bright - how could anyone fail to be cheered by it.  Looking through her flickr set of makes, this is just one of many wonderful works. 

4.  Crochet gets in on the hexagonal act too.  I simply adore this zingy blanket by Coco Rose.


The blog post containing this little beauty showcases several other crochet creations, all of which are fantastic.  I'm also rather taken by the pretty little cushion which compliments the blanket perfectly.  Duck-egg blue is my favourite colour.


5.  These darling cushions by nanaCompany are so charming.  The mix of tiny florals in colours that would normally clash, work beautifully.  I love the mix of pale pink with zingy red.  It brings a very traditional style bang up to date, and the neutral linen background really make the hexagons leap out at you.


6.  I'm totally blown away by this stunning purse.  Before I checked out the Linen and Raspberry blog, I assumed the fabric was a rather wonderful piece of printed hexagons.  Oh no!  This is teeny-tiny patchwork perfection.  Go check out the blog, and see just how tiny those little lovelies are.  I absolutely adore this make, and love everything about it.  From the gorgeous fabrics, down to the pretty purse handle... this has to be one of the loveliest creations I've come across in quite a while.
7.  And if the thought of hand-piecing all those awkward little shapes together isn't daunting enough.... why not do a bit of embroidery on each?  How pretty will this look when it's finished.  I wish I could find the link for the original post, but I can only track it back as far as google and no further.  
8.  If you can't get enough of the shape - how about hexagons made from hexagons?  Wow!  Again another WIP with sooo much work involved, but won't the finished piece be awesome?  I have tracked this picture back to Pleasant Home though I can't find the original post.  Shame.  (wish people would provide proper links in the first place!).


Looking at all these wonderful makes leaves me feeling in awe of other's talents.  The combination of patience and time involved simply blows me away.  I'll make something with hexagons one day, I really will!  Until the day I bite the bullet and start a hexagonal masterpiece, perhaps I could cheat a little and do something like this with one of my old machines......


A few scraps of pretty paper and a tub of Mod Podge = instant hexagonal gratification!  Find the post on ModgePodgeRocks




















Comments

  1. Ooh I love sexy hexies. I'm itching to get started on either a crochet throw or a patchwork quilt, but I have so many other WIPs to finish first... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your 'hexagon heaven', I liked reading about what inspired you to 'think hexagon' today

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh - go on! It's so lovely to receive messages, and I really do appreciate it.

I always do my best to reply to messages - both here on the blog and personally (as long as I can see an email address)

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Don't get Shirty!

My blog posts have been lacking the last few weeks.  This is due to moving home and trying to sort out the chaos.  One of the things required was that hubby thin down his clothing, or there would be no room for any of mine in the fitted wardrobes.  At the last count he had well over a hundred shirts.  Ridiculous.  Under strict instructions to free up half the wardrobe space for me, he set to with bin bags, to turf some out for the charity shops. With a large selection of shirts ousted, I started looking at the fabrics and wondered if I could make use of them myself.  There's a surprising amount of fabric in a mans shirt, particularly an XL one. After cherry picking the ones that were all cotton and nice fabrics, I sat down and scratched my head for inspiration. My first of two makes is this pillow.  When I began I had no real vision of what it was going to look like.  I just knew that I wanted to use some of the front pockets, and make a feature of a cuff or two. After