Skip to main content

A Dishy Little Number

I fear today you may be a little bit dissapointed after reading the title.  But, hey.....  I've got to try and big this one up a bit.... there's a limit to how exciting a dish-cloth can be!

For those who read my blog regularly, you will already know that I am a fan of crochet.  This doesn't mean I am busy hooking all the time, indeeed I can't remember the last time I made something.  Lately though, my interest in has been rekindled - largely down to the lovely makes I keep finding and pinning to my inCredibe Crochet board on Pinterest 

The only problem was I had no idea where my hooks were!  Yesterday, whilst looking for something else (never did find it) I came across the bag storing them.  Yeah.  Next problem - where on earth's my yarn stash?  It may take me another few months to unearth, but in the meantime my hook bag contained the rather poor offering of one skein of sock yarn, and two balls of natural raw cotton.


The sock yarn looked promising in skein form - all purple and variegated and interesting.  By the time I had wound it into a ball it had lost it's charm completely, and was just resembling a dark bruise.  So - dishcloth cotton it was then.  As useful as a dishcloth may be, they are really boring aren't they?  Unloved scraps of cloth that get abused on a daily basis.  Why not a pretty one?  To be honest, I had no idea what I was making when I cast on a foundation row - I was just fiddling about without a pattern.  Dishcloth yarn has it's limitations you know!  I was simply passing the time whilst watching the television last night.


I rather like what I've ended up with!  Using a no. 5 hook, I started out by casting on 35 stitches.  I then did rows of single crochet until I had a square.  Next I did a row of single crochet around the whole square, picking up the side stitches as I went.  I now had a basis on which to do a frill.  For the frill I chained 5 stitches, then slip-stitched into every other single crochet around the edge.  Once finished the first row, I slip-stitched into the original stitch of the row.  Second row - 5 chain, slip-stitch into centre stitch of the loop from the row below. 5 chain, slip-stitch into the centre stitch between each 2 loops.  Then 3 chain and slip stitch into same stitch for a little bobble.  Continue all the way around.


I realise that probably reads like gobbledegook - I know what I mean!  If you thought that was hard to follow, I don't know where to begin explaining how I did the leaf.  I never cast off after the frill, I just chain two then slip-stitched into the cloth to make a leaf shape - chaining a stitch after ever slip-stitch.

Whatever I did, it worked!  As the pattern has been worked on the surface, the back of the cloth is flat.  I never cut the thread whilst doing the leaf pattern.  I did the leaf outline first, then the centre stem, working backward to do the leaf "branches".  This meant doing further slip stitches to go back the way I'd worked - and a further slip stitch around the outline after.  In truth, this is a happy little bumble that just happened to turn out okay!

Comments

  1. Oh that's lovely. Once I can get my head round it, I might have a go with my dishcloth cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely little dish cloth...clever you with the leaf business, I have never seen that done before! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh - go on! It's so lovely to receive messages, and I really do appreciate it.

I always do my best to reply to messages - both here on the blog and personally (as long as I can see an email address)

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Don't get Shirty!

My blog posts have been lacking the last few weeks.  This is due to moving home and trying to sort out the chaos.  One of the things required was that hubby thin down his clothing, or there would be no room for any of mine in the fitted wardrobes.  At the last count he had well over a hundred shirts.  Ridiculous.  Under strict instructions to free up half the wardrobe space for me, he set to with bin bags, to turf some out for the charity shops. With a large selection of shirts ousted, I started looking at the fabrics and wondered if I could make use of them myself.  There's a surprising amount of fabric in a mans shirt, particularly an XL one. After cherry picking the ones that were all cotton and nice fabrics, I sat down and scratched my head for inspiration. My first of two makes is this pillow.  When I began I had no real vision of what it was going to look like.  I just knew that I wanted to use some of the front pockets, and make a feature of a cuff or two. After