Skip to main content

Puffed up Feathers Pillow


I've got there in the end!  One puffy pillow already for the bed.
 
The puffs were easy to do - and a good trial run for my next project of a bed runner to match.  I actually think the pillow would look better if it was all puffs, but hey - ho - you make and learn.
Here's what I did......


Fabrics collected together.  The finished pillow is 14 inches square. 
Allowing 1/4 inch seams - I cut the centre embroidery at 7.5 inches.
Then 12 different squares of 5 inches each (top)
12 squares of 4 inches (back) cut from old white shirt.
 


There's no need to tack.  Though pins are a must.
Begin by folding each top square in half (wrong sides together)
and run over with an iron at the edges.
 
 
Match up the corners with a backing square.
 


Pinch fold in centre, and fold down flat against the backing square. 
Pin in place, and continue around, bending each fold the same way.
 

 
All squares pinned, placed, and ready to sew.


To join squares together, I carefully unpinned the edges -
pinning them with right sides together.  Stitch.
 


I joined 2 each for the sides, and then the top and bottom row
 

 
then joined sides to centre, and top and bottom.
I included lace simply so that it will match another pillow in a different style.


Time to put the pins away me thinks!
 
Next, as the back won't be seen.... (and being very careful)
 

 
Make a slit in the back of each square.


Stuff (don't overstuff - this was my big mistake -
made it very difficult indeed to finish)
 


Sew each hole shut.  No need to be precious, it will all be hidden.
Simply stopping the stuffing from escaping.
I finished by cutting a 14.5 inch square from the shirt, and sewed around the edges -
just inside the 1/4 inch seam line. 
Neatly covers all seams and the raggy embroidery back.
 

 
Sewing Tip number 1 - always leave WIP upside down,
as you will come back moments later and find it claimed.
Phew.


 
The finished pillow.
 
It would have been a whole lot quicker to finish, had I not overstuffed the puffs.  I really made it difficult for myself to join the envelope back and bind.  It was such a fight to do, that in retrospect, I should have unpicked the holes and pulled some stuffing out. 
 
 I is a numpty.  

 
For the back I have used a 14.5 inch width of polka dot fabric.
I've folded each piece in half to give more structure to the pillow.
Cut to length at roughly 2/3rds of the pillow, for overlap.
I finished the edge with a strip of aqua left over from cutting the front,
and a small band of blue ribbon (barely seen in photo).
 
For the binding, I cut two inch strips of fabric.
Joined on the diagonal, and pressed in half.
This binding is not my finest - as it was so blooming tricky -
but, I'm pretty good at it usually. 
 
For instructions on how to bind properly - see my tutorials
 
 
I think I'm quite pleased with it.  Not really feeling the love as yet, as it's been such a bitch to finish off.  Hopefully it will grow on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Don't get Shirty!

My blog posts have been lacking the last few weeks.  This is due to moving home and trying to sort out the chaos.  One of the things required was that hubby thin down his clothing, or there would be no room for any of mine in the fitted wardrobes.  At the last count he had well over a hundred shirts.  Ridiculous.  Under strict instructions to free up half the wardrobe space for me, he set to with bin bags, to turf some out for the charity shops. With a large selection of shirts ousted, I started looking at the fabrics and wondered if I could make use of them myself.  There's a surprising amount of fabric in a mans shirt, particularly an XL one. After cherry picking the ones that were all cotton and nice fabrics, I sat down and scratched my head for inspiration. My first of two makes is this pillow.  When I began I had no real vision of what it was going to look like.  I just knew that I wanted to use some of the front pockets, and make a feature of a cuff or two. After