Skip to main content

A Jar full of Delights!

  Just what is it about jars that makes them so darling?

Let's face it.... they're pretty boring objects really.  A bit of moulded glass with a lid on top.  Yet - however boring they may be, dare I admit I have a bit of a jar fetish?  (to add to the ever growing lists of things I simply can't do without).  Perhaps I like them for their simplicity, their usefulness, their style.  Or maybe because so many can be collected by recycling them - hence qualifying as freebies!

Cheap-skate - Moi? 
I'm not the self-proclaimed Car-Boot sale Queen for nothing!


There are so many different styles to choose from.  Plain ones, coloured ones, patterned ones.  My husband simply fails to grasp why I go into raptures when I see a pretty jar and feel unable to part with it.  

Mason jars, Kilner jars, I love you all.
 and yes.... even the humble ol' jam jar gets a big hug from me!
 Even before we were encouraged to recycle nigh on everything, I could still be found soaking jars for days on end to remove the labels.  Boy oh boy, but do those label manufacturers know how to make glue!  There is nothing quite like dipping your hands into a soapy, gloopy cold concoction of slimy water, containing slug like entrails of labels.  That delicious little moment when you shudder as your fingers enter the water (please tell me it's not only me who can't abide cold dishwater), grasp your jar  and bring it to the surface - hoping against all hope that the label has finally given up it's frenzied grip on life.  
Once the newly adoptive mother of a gleaming recycled jar - what to do with it next?  Oh, the possibilities!

The literary next step 
Personally, I like to ponder on the future usage of my jars for a while, and whilst the thought process is underway, the said jar will be stored carefully away - awaiting it's creative destiny.

The "In Reality" next step
Okay...... so I tend to forget all about them and chuck them in the corner cupboard in the kitchen.  You know the one.... that little treasure trove where we squirrel away all the useful junk that we mean to do something with - one day!  My corner cupboard likes to keep it's wares.  Once swallowed up into it's cavernous jaws, it slams it's awkward little mouth doors shut.  Retrieving anything from the gloomy depths is so blooming difficult, the odd time anything does make it out into daylight it's likely to be vintage.
This year however I have great plans for my jars. 

(note I say plans..... this planning stage could last for years)

I'm loving this new craze I've noticed on Pinterest.  There appears to be a very "Pinteresting" obsession with sticking ingredients inside a jar and giving as a gift. Don't you worry - I'm pinning them all frantically!

How hard can this gift idea be I wonder?

For starters, how do you know just what size jar you need.  It won't look right unless the contents are to the top.  And then there's the whole business of getting each level

well..................................... level!  

I mean - look at that jar in the picture above - it looks sooooo perfect.  Surely that must have been photo-shopped?  

Can a mere mortal create that?  Darned sure this one can't.  I tried layering coloured sand in a jar once on a school trip (I was 35, the kids were 5) and the children's efforts were better than mine.  Ah well... they say it's the thought that counts.  It will be wonky and they will LOVE it. 
I'm loving this little idea too.  How gorgeous to pop along to a picnic or barbecue with this perfectly formed bucket of loveliness.  Wonderful icy temptations to wow everyone with.  

Who am I trying to kid?   I will never turn up anywhere with anything like this, at anytime this life.  A warmish bottle of wine (very rare I remember to chill) or a rapidly dragged off the supermarket shelves crate of beer is far more my style.  Immediately finding a quiet corner with great viewing potential in which to glug my wine, revel in sarky humour - and demand food be brought to me at frequent intervals.  

Still....... a girl can dream.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm more than a little jealous of these wonderful folk who do actually manage to create things like this in the real world.  I imagine you all live in a "Little House on the Prairie" existence, but with mod-cons.  A world in which the sun is always shining, the home and garden simply gleam, the children are angelic, and where nothing green and unidentifiable is ever found at the back of the fridge.  

I'd really like to join you, though I don't think I'm ever likely to meet the membership criteria.  Let's say I'm trying..... I've even got so far as buying an apron pattern, and I've never worn an apron in my life!
Whoops!  I've been digressing again.  

This is more my style!  Lump a few jars together, and chuck a few things in.  Effort required - zilch.  And yet still the humble jar is capable of making a stylish impact. 

Jars!  I love you xxx
Fancy a jar? 
"Cheers, me dears"
Notes -

History  (courtesy of Wikipedia)


The earliest glass jars were called wax sealers, because they used sealing wax, which was poured into a channel around the lip that held on a tin lid. This process was complicated and error-prone, but was largely the only one available for a long time, and widely used even into the early 1900s.

By far, though, the most popular form of seal was the screw-on zinc cap, the precursor to today's screw-on lids. The earliest successful application of this was discovered by Mason and patented on November 30, 1858, a date embossed on thousands of jars. Jars with "Patent Nov 30th 1858" were made in many shapes, sizes and colors well into the 1900s. Since they were made in such quantity and used for such long periods, many of them have survived to the present day.

Another popular closure was known as the Lightning closure, named after the first jar to use it, which was embossed with "Lightning" on the side. More commonly, this is often known as a bail closure, or French Kilner — it consists of a metal wire that leverages a glass lid down when pressed against the side of the jar. While these jars are still sold for storage, they are now rarely used for canning.

The heyday for jars was probably 1860-1900, when an explosion of patents for various closures were issued, ranging from the effective to the absurd. The more absurd closures were quickly abandoned, but often fetch high prices in today's antique market.

All images sourced from Pinterest

Comments

  1. Aha! i love jars fuuull of small craft supplies -i stuff them, close and leave them for a while...when i forget whats inside, i open them and -voilá-a whole "new" world :))
    It is by far my favorite item in craft swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 old horlicks jars full of old buttons that I love - Long live the humble jar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew! Love them jars! Cheers! Linda at www.QUTI.org @quiltingunder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite like the idea of baking cakes in jars! Sort of like a see through cupcake with all the layers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gooseberry Patch has a cook book out for jar things.

    I've seen jars used in work rooms to store nuts and bolts and things...attach the top securely to the underside of a shelf and then just screw on the jar with your treasures.

    I love great big canning jars, why do they call it canning when you put things in jars? I keep my marble collection in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog a few weeks ago on a site listing uk craft blogs and have to say that I love it! You make me smile everytime I read it and feel that in you I have a kindred spirit! I also love anything recycled and my Sunday morning's just wouldn't be the same without a good car booty rumage. Thank you for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love jars and have loads stored up ready for something! Most are full of jam & chutney atm but many have buttons (not with the jam - hopefully)! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the Bonne Maman jam and honey jars with the gingham lids. Buttons look lovely in them x

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a child, my dad had drawers of screws, washers, etc screwed to the underside of the shelf in the laundry - I thought it was magic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the little desk tidy jars! what a great idea ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh - go on! It's so lovely to receive messages, and I really do appreciate it.

I always do my best to reply to messages - both here on the blog and personally (as long as I can see an email address)

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Don't get Shirty!

My blog posts have been lacking the last few weeks.  This is due to moving home and trying to sort out the chaos.  One of the things required was that hubby thin down his clothing, or there would be no room for any of mine in the fitted wardrobes.  At the last count he had well over a hundred shirts.  Ridiculous.  Under strict instructions to free up half the wardrobe space for me, he set to with bin bags, to turf some out for the charity shops. With a large selection of shirts ousted, I started looking at the fabrics and wondered if I could make use of them myself.  There's a surprising amount of fabric in a mans shirt, particularly an XL one. After cherry picking the ones that were all cotton and nice fabrics, I sat down and scratched my head for inspiration. My first of two makes is this pillow.  When I began I had no real vision of what it was going to look like.  I just knew that I wanted to use some of the front pockets, and make a feature of a cuff or two. After