Skip to main content

Make and Bake cross-stitch

Looking pretty on kitchen wall


Today I've finished this picture for my kitchen.  A combination of cross-stitch and random scraps as a border
I'm rather pleased with how it's turned out.   I began it as the frame was redundant, a colour change in the lounge meant neither the dark wood frame or red-themed picture fitted.   After realising the box frame held potential I began to think what I could put inside.
All ready to fit the frame



I came across the little cross-stitch picture on Pinterest.   The cr0ss-stitch design is by Amanda Gregory and is a free chart for personal use.  There is added background detail in the design which I didn't add in as it was so tiny.   It turned out much smaller than I was expecting!  The outer square is the right size to fit in the box mount, so I had to find a way of filling the space.I used to do a lot of cross-stitch and have kept a basket full of supplies for years.   Since I last used Aida my eyesight has deteriorated to the point that my vari-focals could barely cope.   Another time I will either need to use a magnifying glass or regress to the large count Aida I used to make a sampler in junior school.The border comprises scraps which were already destined for the bin as I thought they were too small to do anything with, scraps of lace and ric-rac, random buttons and a zip which I have had forever (and is never quite the right length for anything useful).

Code Blue chalk paint


Having completed the stitchery, it was time to re-vamp the dark wood frame.   I gave it a very light sanding and initially roughly brushed on a light coating of palest grey acrylic in the hope it would show throw the top coat if I rubbed the final coat back.    Drying almost immediately I applied 2 coats of Code Blue Autentico chalk paint.    I used this paint on my kitchen table and the colour is perfect; a warm blue with grey tones.   Very impressed with this paint, a little goes a long way and it's a dream to paint with.  



Preparing the frame

Once dry, I lightly sanded the frame in places, this means that on the frame itself there is a trace of the grey underneath visible.   I've also sanded very gently at some points on the edges to reveal a trace of the original wood - it's turned out very well.   I finished the frame with a light coat of clear wax to protect it.   This is worth doing as it brings out the warmth of the colour and evens it out.

For the size of the finished picture, this took forever to do.  Overall I'm pleased with it and I may be tempted to do some more cross-stitch, albeit on a larger thread-count base.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Giveaway Time

I'm more than a trifle ticked off with Blogger. My post of yesterday has vanished into thin air during the day - and I haven't been near a computer. It was the first time I'd entered a post using the new interface, and I was liking the way it worked. Shame I didn't try a short post first, but no...... dibble decided to do a long article didn't she! Sniff. Back to the old Blogger me thinks. Anyways... I was thinking that it's been such a dismal few days - why not think of something to brighten the mood. Why not have a little giveaway? Trying to be a little different - I've come up with a little competition. It's quite simple....... How many buttons in the jar? I've no idea myself, so it will be interesting to find out. To give you something on which to base your guess, I can tell you I am able to hold the little jar comfortably in one hand. Also I have used a few of the buttons so the jar isn't quite full. So.... What do y

Shabby Chic? Definitely Shabby!

I did say I'd share my DIY disaster with you...... Brace yourselves - you may need sunglasses: Snort!  When I started the makeover I can assure you this wasn't my intention.  I had a 70's dressing table that was a nice shape, but a vile wood.  I thought I would transform it by painting it fuchsia to match my bedroom.  10 hours later (2 coats undercoat, 3 topcoat) it was looking good.  Until the top coat starting to flake off before my eyes.  I could have cried - indeed I think I did. Since then it's been sitting in the bedroom annoying me.  It's too heavy to lift out on my own, and anyways I've nothing else to replace it with.  The thought of starting to paint it again doesn't bear thinking about.  So in a DIY frenzy, I attacked it with wire wool. I think I got a bit carried away!  The result is something that gives a whole new meaning to shabby chic.  However, at least it looks intentional and boldly scruffy.  Anyone that dares to question my

Don't get Shirty!

My blog posts have been lacking the last few weeks.  This is due to moving home and trying to sort out the chaos.  One of the things required was that hubby thin down his clothing, or there would be no room for any of mine in the fitted wardrobes.  At the last count he had well over a hundred shirts.  Ridiculous.  Under strict instructions to free up half the wardrobe space for me, he set to with bin bags, to turf some out for the charity shops. With a large selection of shirts ousted, I started looking at the fabrics and wondered if I could make use of them myself.  There's a surprising amount of fabric in a mans shirt, particularly an XL one. After cherry picking the ones that were all cotton and nice fabrics, I sat down and scratched my head for inspiration. My first of two makes is this pillow.  When I began I had no real vision of what it was going to look like.  I just knew that I wanted to use some of the front pockets, and make a feature of a cuff or two. After